Listen, we get it. Sometimes our daily schedules are very busy, including time in the morning. The last thing that we usually think about before we hit the door is breakfast. It is usually by the time you get to your place of employment that you even remember that you didn’t have time to eat.
Sometimes we trade a few extra minutes of crawling underneath the covers, hitting the snooze button. But truth be told, eating a healthy breakfast during your morning not only will help you be more productive in the day, but help you maintain a healthy weight.
Many people think that skipping breakfast will help you shed those unwanted pounds. At first consideration, it seems to make sense. Eating less calories will make it so your body has less calories to burn, and therefore burn fat instead. However logically this may sound, in most cases it is not true. Here are a few reasons why:
- Our bodies run on energy provided by calories in the foods we eat. Here are 7 important reasons why you should eat breakfast:
- Eating a bigger breakfast and a smaller evening meal helps the body utilize energy more efficiently. That is because eating breakfast provides your body with the fuel it needs to be more active and productive because it restores sugar levels. When you don’t eat breakfast it can lead to an energy deficiency because you haven’t eaten since dinner the night before.
- Skipping breakfast leads to slumps mentally and physically in those who skip breakfast.
- Feeding your body all the nutrients it needs to operate at peak efficiency is difficult without eating breakfast. When we lack good nutrition, our bodies and energy levels pay the price and we are less productive overall.
- Making breakfast part of your daily routine can boost your metabolism by as much as 10 percent.
- Breakfast helps with mental performance and enhances concentration.
- Eating breakfast can affect mood, too. When our bodies are hungry it can lead to irritability and mood swings. This not only affects you, but all the people who interact with you.
What Should I Eat for Breakfast?
Now that we understand the importance of breakfast it is just as important to understand what kind of foods to eat for breakfast. Let’s face it, stuffing a toasted pastry down your throat on the way out the door does not constitute a healthy breakfast. Choosing the right foods can help keep hunger at bay throughout the morning until you are ready for lunch. This cuts back on mid-morning snacking and/or eating a large lunch and can help you lose weight even though you ate breakfast.
Many studies that link breakfast with successful weight loss or weight control consider a “healthy” breakfast to be one that is made up of:
- Protein and/or whole grains
- Low fat foods
- Low calorie foods
Making wise choices when selecting breakfast foods is an important factor in eating breakfast. You want to avoid high-sugar, high-fat foods, especially if you want to lose weight. How much you eat should be determined by how many calories you burn throughout your day, whether or not you exercise and whether or not you are trying to lose weight or just maintain your current weight.
If you follow these tips, you will see a dramatic increase in energy, productiveness, and desire to maintain healthy eating habits.
Latest posts by David (see all)
- The Surprising Health Benefits Of Mindfulness, Meditation And Relaxation - September 21, 2016
- A Guide To The African Mango - May 13, 2016
- Keeping Those Pearly Whites Healthy - December 31, 2014