While I may not always get in my daily workout, I always do some kind of household chore each day. So, I was curious how the number of calories burned doing chores compared to the number of calories burned while working out. I was surprised to see that the number of calories burned doing household chores can really add up. Read on to see how many calories you are burning each day during your daily cleaning routine. You may choose to skip your workout today and instead have a sparkling clean house!
One of the most labor intensive household chores, yard work is a major calorie burner! Digging and raking leaves not only burn tons of calories but also works major muscles like your back, legs, and arms. This time of year there are plenty of leaves to rake and at 225 calories burned every 30 minutes you will burn as much in one hour as you would at your aerobics class.
Now is the perfect time to till your garden. Do it yourself, 30 minutes of digging will burn about 315 calories, which is the same amount burned by 45 minutes of bicycling on flat terrain. Digging also tones calf, thigh, arm, and shoulder muscles.
Weeding will burn over 200 calories per hour and mowing the lawn approximately 325 calories per hour.
Whether you are cleaning the bathroom or doing the wash you are moving around which burns calories. Here is a list of the calories you burn performing some typical indoor household chores.
- Scrubbing your bathroom for 30 minutes burns approximately 150 calories while toning muscles in your back, arms, and shoulders.
- Cleaning windows for 30 minutes burns 125 calories, the same number of calories burned in a 15 minute hike.
- One hour of cooking burns approximately 150 calories.
- Dusting also burns 150 calories in one hour.
- In just 30 minutes you can burn over 150 calories scrubbing the floor.
- Pushing the vacuum around the house for an hour will burn 240 calories or more.
Check out the following list of common household chores and aerobic/sports related activities to see how the number of calories burned per hour compare.
Dressing and/or feeding a child 177
Carrying heavy loads 472
General carpentry 207
General gardening tasks 295
Heavy house cleaning 266
Light house cleaning 148
Mowing the lawn 325
Painting, scraping, plastering 266
Preparing food 148
Sweeping the garage 236
Aerobic and Sports Activities
Aerobics, high impact 511
Aerobics, low impact 365
Aerobics, water 292
Ballroom dancing 219
Baseball or softball 365
Bicycling (10 mph) 292
Golfing, carrying clubs 329
Ice skating 511
Jogging (5 mph) 584
Rope jumping 730
Rowing, stationary 511
Running (8 mph) 986
Skiing, cross-country 511
Skiing, downhill 365
Stair treadmill 657
Swimming laps 511
Tai chi 292
Weightlifting, free weight, Nautilus, or universal type 219
Latest posts by Jackie (see all)
- The Benefits Of Pilates For Weight Loss - November 22, 2016
- Cardio Exercise And Weight Training For Your Weight Loss Program - November 1, 2016
- I Was About To Give Up Before I Found 30 Night Diet - October 11, 2016