Besides your bed, your office is the place you spend most of your time. Think about it – you spend at least 8 hours a day there, 5 days a week. That adds up pretty fast. When I was working full time, I had a hard time getting to the gym. It was hard to go after work because I so tired that I just wanted to sit on the couch and wind down. I started to wonder if there was anything I could during work that would help me in my weight loss and fitness efforts. The good news, is that there are a lot of ways to lose weight at work.
While it can’t replace your gym time and strength training there are things you can do while at the office that can make a difference on your body. Most jobs are desk jobs and spending 8 to 9 hours a day there can actually add extra weight, but by implementing some of these techniques into your daily work habits can help you avoid adding extra pounds and in some cases, help you lose weight. Burning off or eliminating just 100 extra calories per day can lead to an extra 10 pounds lost per year. Following these simple tips below can help you burn those extra calories while you work, how is that for multi-tasking?
1. It starts with breakfast. I am sure you are getting tired of hearing this, but breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Studies have shown that those who skip breakfast are 4.5 more times likely to be obese when compared to those who eat breakfast. If you eat breakfast you are much less likely to snack on vending machine treats mid-morning.
2. Fidget – Foot tapping, leg shaking and squirming, although annoying at times can help keep your metabolism up and can increase your energy expenditure by 54%. So next time you are at your desk, tap your feet. Just make sure you don’t annoy your coworkers.
3. Walk and Talk – Every time you get a phone call, stand up and walk – pacing or walking in place. Keeping active throughout the day is more effective for weight loss than being sedentary all day and then spending an hour at the gym.
4. Climb – Set a timer on the computer to alert you once every hour. When the timer goes off, walk up and down the stairs – three flights if possible. This should take about 3 minutes and after an 8 hour work day, you will have walked for 24 minutes.
5. Make things more inconvenient – Use the bathroom on another floor, use the printer that is farthest away from your office, fill your water bottle up on another floor. These small changes will help you burn extra calories and will also help you avoid the afternoon slump by keeping your body moving.
6. Schedule snacks – Taking time to eat two to three healthy snacks throughout the day will help ward off hunger, keep your metabolism up and will help you avoid overeating at lunch. You may also find that your trips to the vending machine quickly decrease.
7. Drink water – water not only keeps your bodily functioning properly, it can help you lose weight. By drinking water regularly, you stay full longer, which causes you to eat less during the day and during meals.
Work consumes a large part of our lives, making it tricky to get in a long workout at the gym each day. By implementing the simple tips and tricks above you can provide an easy answer to the question of how to lose weight at work. It doesn’t have to be complicated or take away from your daily tasks. By keeping yourself moving during the day, you can increase your metabolism and the number of calories you burn, all while working – which makes it easier to do because you are multi-tasking. Work doesn’t have to cause you to put on extra weight, it can be another place you can lose weight and become healthier.
Latest posts by Rachelle (see all)
- You Won’t Be Able to “Resist” These Workouts! - August 18, 2015
- Chicken Is Too Good for the Soul - August 11, 2015
- Feeling Lightheaded? Signs and Treatment of Dizziness - July 7, 2015