Here are healthy lifestyle tips you can incorporate into your daily life to promote your health and well-being. Some tips you should implement on a daily basis and others are simple changes you can make to your life to nurture healthy living.
1. Daily exercise is one of the most important healthy lifestyle tips. Exercise on a daily basis for at least 30 minutes per day. Brisk walk, aerobics, or just any kind of bodily movement can do wonders for your health.
- Pick exercises you enjoy. When you enjoy the sports, you’ll naturally want to do them. Exercise isn’t about suffering and pushing yourself; it’s about being healthy and having fun at the same time. Adding variation in your exercises will keep them interesting.
- Work out different parts of your body. Don’t just do cardio exercises (such as jogging). Give your full body a proper work out. The easiest way is to engage in sports, since they work out different muscle groups. Popular sports include basketball, football, swimming, tennis, etc.
2. Sleep 6 to 8 hours per day. This will help your body to replenish itself and gives your body time to rebuild its cells. Lack of sleep make you feel tired and affect your eating habits. Adequate sleep is essential for your overall health and well-being. When you don’t rest well, you compensate by eating more. Usually it’s junk food. Get enough rest and you don’t need to snack to stay awake. Also, lack of sleep causes premature aging, and you wouldn’t want that.
3. Eat more fruits. Fruits contain a plethora of vitamins and minerals. Taking in synthetic supplements are not the same as consuming the foods direct from nature.
4. Eat more vegetables. Like fruits, vegetables are important for the well-being of our health. Experts suggest that we should have 5-9 servings of fruits/vegetables, and unfortunately most people don’t even have at least 5 servings!
5. Cut down on processed food. Processed foods are not good because (1) most nutritional value is lost (2) the preservatives added are bad for our health. Many processed foods contain a high amount of salt content, which leads to higher blood pressure and heart disease.
6. Have a positive outlook. People who are positive tend to have better health and success in life than those who are negative thinkers.
7. Stop smoking. It is harmful to your health. It can cause heart disease, lungs cancer, and premature aging.
8. Meditation can help reduce stress, because it helps quiet your mind.
9. Surround yourself with friends and family members who are supportive. People who have friends that they can count on to be there for them, can live longer.
10. Drink more water. Most of us actually don’t drink enough water every day. Water is essential for our body to function – Do you know over 60% of our body is made up of water? Water is needed to carry out our body functions, remove waste and carry nutrients and oxygen around our body.
11. Get outside and spend your time in the open air daily, if possible. Exposing yourself to fresh air and sunshine on a daily basis is beneficial to your health.
12. Be appreciative of your life, your health and whatever you have. Gratitude is good for your soul as well as your health.
13. Stop eating when you feel full. Many of us rely on external cues to tell when we’re full, such as whether everyone has finished eating, whether your plate was empty or not. These are irrelevant – you should look at internal cues, such as whether your stomach feels full or not.
Latest posts by Mel (see all)
- Be Happier by Living Actively, Laughing More, and Loving Life – October 30, 2014
- To Snack, or Not to Snack: Pre and Post-Workout – October 8, 2014
- The Many Health Benefits of Green Tea – September 23, 2014