Be prepared with the right snacks this summer when you take the family to the pool, waterpark, and the beach. What better way to cool off in the hot summer sun than to head to the water. Swimming is fun and it’s also a workout, which means your family is bound to get hungry!
It is easiest to think about foods that are non-perishable, therefore, do not need a cooler with ice. There is a wide variety of healthy snacks that kids will love to eat.
Here are some ideas:
• Multi grain crackers
• Beef jerky (a good protein source)
• Dried fruit such as raisins, craisins, mango, cherries, and apricots
• Homemade trail mix. Add whatever you like: nuts, dried fruit, cereal, mini pretzels, and mini crackers
• Muffins (try the delicious and nutritious Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins recipe below)
• Granola bars (try the No Bake Granola Bar recipe below)
• Packets of tuna, chicken, or salmon. No can opener required!
• Roasted soy nuts
• Nuts and seeds
• Small containers of nut butter
• Small cans of bean dip with pop-tops for easy opening
• Cereal: prepackaged or in a plastic bag or container
• Fresh fruit such as bananas, apples, oranges and grapes
• Cheese sticks
• Lunch meat
• Frozen grapes or cherries (just wash, remove stems, and freeze on a cookie sheet so they don’t freeze together)
• Cottage cheese
• Carrot and celery sticks
• Lunch meat sandwiches
• Vegetable sandwiches
• Hard-boiled eggs
Try this quick no-bake granola bar recipe that you can whip up before you head out. They are delicious, filling, and heat-proof!
No-Bake Granola Bars
2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
In large bowl, combine cereal, rolled oats and raisins; set aside. In small saucepan, combine brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in peanut butter and vanilla; blend until smooth. Pour over cereal mixture; mix well. Press into ungreased 13″x 9″ pan. Cool; cut into 24 bars.
Whole Wheat Honey Banana Muffins
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons wheat germ (optional)
2/3 cup olive oil or 2/3 cup canola oil
1 cup honey
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup hot water
Stir together dry ingredients. Beat oil and honey together; add eggs and beat well. Add bananas and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients to wet, alternating with hot water; mix well after each addition. Spoon batter into 24 greased muffin cups; bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
Latest posts by Mel (see all)
- Get Out of That Bed! – July 11, 2014
- Get That Heart Rate Up! – July 2, 2014
- 6 Power Fruits That You Will Want to Eat This Summer – June 7, 2014