Calcium! It Does a Body Good

by Mel on April 10, 2015

Many of us grew up hearing that we should drink our milk so that we grow strong bones. However, there are quite a bit of health benefits of calcium other than just building strong bones.Calcium The health benefits of calcium cannot be ignored and we should all take extra effort to ensure we are building adequate stores of calcium in our bodies.

To ensure the population gets enough calcium, the National Academy of Sciences established the following recommended intake levels:

  • 1,000 milligrams/day for those age 19 to 50
  • 1,200 milligrams/day for those age 50 or over
  • 1,000 milligrams/day for pregnant or lactating adult women

Below, we will review some of the widely known benefits, as well as some that may surprise you.

Bone Health

Calcium supports healthy bones as the bones build up calcium stores over time. Additionally, calcium plays an important role in the prevention of osteoporosis. It is the most frequently occurring bone disease in the United States, affecting 55% of those ages 50 and older.

Absorption rates from food generally decrease as people age and when calcium levels are too low, the blood can pull it from our bones which may lead to osteoporosis. For infants and growing children, the body absorbs up to 60% of the calcium it takes in. But for adults, that rate drops to 15-20% and continues to decrease as people age. While taking Vitamin D can help improve calcium absorption, the reduced efficiency means adults may have a more difficult time getting enough calcium that their bodies need from diet alone.

For younger children, a diet rich in calcium is essential for strong bone growth and healthy teeth. When a child’s bones are still growing, insufficient calcium intake may slow their overall growth and development.

Heart and Muscle Health

Emerging research supports an adequate calcium intake as a means to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension. Though 99% of the calcium in the body is in the bones and teeth, the remaining 1% plays a crucial role in other bodily functions, such as nerve transmission and muscular function. The heart is a muscle and both the heart and blood vessels are innervated by the nervous system. A deficiency in calcium can cause heart problems, as well as high blood pressure.

But be careful, too much calcium, upwards of 2,000 milligrams or more, has been linked with an increased risk of heart disease, so rely on calcium-rich food sources for heart health.

Helps Prevent Obesity

Calcium efficiently helps in maintaining optimal body weight in both males and females. If there is any deficiency in calcium in your diet, the body will tend to release parathyroid hormone, which in turn stimulates the bones to release calcium into your blood stream. Your body maintains the balance. On the other side, parathyroid hormone also stimulates the production of fat and prevents its break down, which can subsequently make you obese.

Ensures a Healthy Alkaline pH Level

Junk foods, excess sugars, and preserved food items contribute in forming acidity in the body, which in turn could give rise to various disease conditions like cancer, kidney stones and hypertension. Calcium helps to maintain a healthy pH level, thereby improving your vitality and overall health.

So look to make sure you are receiving the recommended daily intake of calcium. The sooner you start, the better!



Health Contributor at Creative Bioscience
I always look forward to expressive my passions in life to others and helping people make lasting changes. I live a busy life like the rest of us with kids, work, and everything else that can get in the way. Making time for exercise, and making good decisions about what we eat can often be a challenge. We sometimes lack the motivation and momentum to make lasting changes in our lives. I've been fortunate enough to really get my life in order and have some simple strategies to help you do the same. Mel's favorite product is Garcinia Cambogia 1234
Shares 0

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: